The theme for this months Sewing and Embroidery Club was pin-cushions! So I turned to Google for inspiration, searching for “unique pin cushions.” I saw the cutest old school leather baby shoe turned pin-cushion, and knew I had found the perfect project for me! When my kiddo was a baby, she kept kicking off her shoes in stores, and after loosing more than 5 sets of shoes’, I bought pink Converse high tops. High tops lace up, and can’t be kicked off! Of course they are cute-ER than cute, so I had stored them as a keepsake. I started my project by purchasing a pair of lace socks. I cut the lace off the sock to use it as a pattern for my own embroidered sock trim. I then cut the bottom of the sock off at the heel.
I searched Google for “machine embroidery design of feet” and found a design of an outline of feet. It was 2” by 2” so I used my Embrilliance Essentials software to size my design to ¾ of an inch. I cut a strip to trim my sock top twice as long as the piece I had cut off the lace top socks I purchased. I embroidered half of my strip using PolyPro Mesh stabilizer on my Baby Lock Esante with my 6×10 hoop.
I folded my strip in half and used a blanket stitch to sew the halves together.
Next, I turned to my trusty Baby Lock Imagine serger to serge my strip together using a rolled hem, and to serge the strip to the top of my sock neck.
I decided to toss the old shoelaces and replace them with double-faced 3/8” satin ribbon. I cut 5 little strips of the ribbon to put into the lacing positions on the high top. I wanted to personalize my pin-cushion, so I used one of the mini fonts on the Brother Persona and Stick and Tear Tear-away stabilizer. The Persona has a red drop-light which is awesome for positioning, as well as mini hoops for small projects.
I hand sewed the strips into place. Next I sewed the lace sock neck into the high top in four spots: the front, back and sides.
I used a few handfuls of pillow stuffing to stuff the front portion of the high top. Pin-cushions can have all sorts of filling, but I wanted my little shoe to have some weight, so I used the “Ground Nut Shells” made from walnuts by “Plum Easy”. Thank goodness for friends willing to lend a helping hand. I enlisted Raquel to pour the filling into the toe of the sock, while I held the sock open.
I used a triple zig zag stitch to sew the opening of the sock closed.
Last, but not least, I pushed the nut filled sock into the shoe, and stuck all my pins into my new, adorable pin-cushion!